Dia Diagram Mac OSX Yosemite Fix
I use the Dia tool for all my diagramming work. I have worked with many tools, but find Dia the easiest to use and is the most responsive, apart from it being a great OpenSource tool :).
I recently upgraded to the new Mac Operating System Yosemite and I could no longer use Dia. Each time I clicked on the Dia icon, it would jump up & down and do nothing. I finally tried opening the app via the command line, which gave me the following error:
The domain/default pair of (.GlobalPreferences, AppleCollationOrder) does not exist
The error trace ended with GTK warning - could not open display.
I could not find anything on the internet that was Dia specific, so I thought of writing this blog, in hope of helping someone in the same situation as me. So here is what I did:
- Goto your Applications directory where Dia.app exists (mine was located at: /Applications)
- Right click the icon and click on Show Package Contents
- Goto the directory Dia.app/Contents/Resources/bin
- Edit the file dia, in your favourite text editor.
- After line 39, add the line: export DISPLAY=:0
- Save and exit.
- Close XQuartz if its running.
- Now Dia should come up.
- If it does not come up, try restarting your computer.
If not, try and add the line - export DISPLAY=:0 to your ~/.bash_profile, re-login and hopefully you should have Dia working once again.
Let me know if this helped you out :)